Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A Decade? Seriously?

This post is dedicated to my wonderful husband whom I have now known for 10 years! It's not that we're old... we just met when we were young. :) (Right Honey?)

I'm not sure why I have gotten so sentimental lately. I've really enjoyed thinking back to all the fun we had years ago. Maybe it's that we're going to be welcoming our second child into the world in a couple of months. Or maybe we've just gone shopping at the Smith's near BYU a few too many times (Tons of single and dating people... they're so funny to watch!)

Honestly, I'm amazed at where we are today! Heavenly Father has blessed us beyond our wildest dreams.

Here are some of my favorite memories I have conjured up recently:
  • Walking around and talking on the St. George Temple grounds and getting kicked out so they could lock up the gates.
  • The debate of whose turn it was to drive vs. get the back seat of the car (Us, or his twin brother and his girlfriend).
  • Dropping in on tennis practice to see Tyson in action.
  • Having way too much fun asking and answering him for school dances (and vice versa).
  • His shocked face when I asked him about his "Hold to the Rod" keychain. (I had no idea what it was about!)
  • Being baptized by him.
  • Watching him prepare for his mission and go through the temple for the first time.
  • Chatting until the wee hours of the morning on ICQ... a lot.
  • Walking my pig with him. He thought that was the funniest thing!
  • That one time when he accidentally sprayed me with soda before a date. He was probably ready to die of embarrassment!
  • Free food days at the Institute. (And that one time a girl mistook him for my brother. lol!)
  • Cramer conferences
  • Tyson coming to one of my 6 am Parli practices. (I think he thought I was nuts... Actually, he probably still does.)
  • Watching 4th of July fireworks from the Montessori playground.
  • Hiking the Subway together.... and the frogs. :)
  • Going to his house for the first time through the "Shortcut"
Now, what's a post without pictures? Here are some highlights of our early relationship. Though, I must admit, I'm not sure where some of the pictures I was planning to include are. They must be lost in our closet!


This dance was a few weeks after we met for the first time. My friends actually had to talk me into asking him to the dance. I mean we were both kind of shy, and we hadn't known each other for very long.. (Ironically, I do get the remote... usually.)


Here we are over at our friend's house. We spent a lot of time over there together!


Yes, same couch... same friend's house. This time it's a dance date.


Tyson's trying to figure out how to work the corsage. lol. This was his Senior Prom, just a couple months after we had met. I think his brother Toby was about to help out. (If you need to ask who Tyson's brother is, look closer.)


A day trip to Wet 'n Wild in Las Vegas (it's a water park that's not there anymore). Don't you worry, we were chaperoned by Tyson's older brother and his wife (left).


Here we are before yet another dance at his parent's house. Now, before you laugh at the matching shirts, it was the Sadie Hawkins dance and that was expected. :) Actually we used the shirts at two dances... my high school's Sadies and Dixie State's Sadies (Tyson was in college by this time)


Just getting a few pointers from a tennis pro... Okay... it was a staged shot. We did like to go play tennis together. Tyson was always nice and went easy on me. There's no way I'd go near his real serves. He was way out of my league. But at least I didn't get hit in the stomach when I played against him... unlike when I played his brother. He had some awful luck! (I was never injured as a result. It was just fun to tease him...still is actually!)


This was our last official "date" before Tyson left on his mission. We thought it would be funny to use this in our wedding announcement (we didn't). Please ignore my farmer tan.


There are so many other pictures that I could have added, but there are only so many hours in a day. This post really doesn't tell the story of our relationship very well. It's more of a collection of favorite photos and memories. If this isn't enough for you and you really, really want to know the stories behind the pictures and from in-between, you can ask. I'll try and not be too biased in my telling of the stories. ;)


4 comments:

Amy said...

I had no idea you two had so much history! this was way fun to read. :)

Sue said...

What a fun trip down memory lane! I love the HS pictures - you guys look great!

Jen said...

Those pictures were fun to see! Congrats on ten years!

Handsfullmom said...

What fun pictures! You two make a great couple.